Monday, February 23, 2009

Faster and faster these months pass us by without us realizing it. We're down to the last week of February which to me is the last month of Winter having March start off our Spring Months with flowers and warmer weather.
Along with March, specifically the 2nd day, brings quite a happy and annual occasion: my birthday. Exactly a week from today I will be 21. Little Betsy is now becoming a big girl, legal and all.
This weekend Adam and I went ring shopping at an antique jewelry store in downtown Franklin called Walton's. The man who helped us was gracious enough to open the store back up as they had closed early for the rain- we looked at around 15 different rings. (Once again, big girl moment...only big girls look at wedding rings) Every shape, size, carat and color you would imagine I placed on my finger to see which fit best. We narrowed it down after a while and I fell in love with a 1920's all original 2 carat antique beauty! Obviously neither of us are at the point where we could afford something like that (It was $14,000) but it was fun to look at them. I was standing next to the man that I love who accepts me for all of my flaws, loves the things I hate about myself and truly cares. He's amazing and here I am getting to be with him for the rest of my life! Woooooo hooooooo!
Later on we went to his parents house where I was in charge of making dinner. This is scary. Yes here I am cooking dinner for my future in-laws. Will it be okay? Will there be puking afterwards? Do they make sure to have a napkin in their lap as to slyly put food in there when no one is looking? I kept telling his dad that if he had already called Papa John's I wouldn't be offended. Adam helped me pound the chicken then we dipped it in a little egg and milk, then to a separate bowl with flour, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper- lastly we placed in it the pan with some extra virgin olive oil...cooked it for about 5 minutes on each side then poured in some cooking white wine. He was such a great help, I say we're a great team! After troubles with the "steamers" mashed potatoes and broccoli we finally sat down to eat. My eyes kept scanning everyones faces to see if they cringed, but not a soured face in sight! In fact everyone cleaned their plate and his parents both told me they really liked it!
Score! See here's my thinking: it's not only if I can just cook a piece of chicken but overall whether or not I can take care of Adam and our family in the future. You know I won't be the fast food McDonald's every night kind of mom, but I can actually cook. Maybe I'm making this bigger than it should be but I'm thinking big picture here. I want his parents to know that I want to take care of him, that I'm capable. That I'll provide him with love and support, wise decisions when it comes to our bills and the things we purchase, keeping a clean home and overall being a good wife.
Cooking dinner for the in-laws without disaster: check.
Yesterday we hung around the house watching Temors, City Slickers and Enchanted. I swear we were on that couch for 15 hours straight! Sometimes you just need to be lazy:)
Last night I went to Spring Hill for an Oscar viewing party at Tim and Surupas. Holy freaking moly they're pregnant again!
It was great to see the girls again but sadly I never see them as often as I'd like.... schedules always seem to conflict but such is life.
Okay so what should I do for my 21st birthday??? Think Betsy, Think!

No comments: